Christmas is just around the corner and everyone is going to be surrounded with savories and sweets. Even though your cravings might get satisfied, but it results in a altogether different story for your body. Usually, people tend to gain weight during the festive season. It becomes very essential to be cautious while gorging on all the tempting delicacies and control your cravings. One must ensure to keep control and stay on track so that this time of the year doesn’t interrupt your fitness goals.
Following are some of the measures to be followed during a festive season to keep yourself healthy:
- Try filling your stomach with a good amount of fiber such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouts, and whole grains. Fiber tends to remain in your stomach for a longer time and hence will control your hunger and cravings.
- Portion control is the key when it comes to sweets and desserts. Take small bites and avoid overeating. Do not consume them along with your meals.
- Stay hydrated. Make sure you drink enough water and other healthy drinks like fresh fruit juices, coconut water, lemon water, and buttermilk throughout the day so that you don’t feel hungry much. Avoid sugary drinks & limit your intake of alcoholic beverages.
- Even if it’s a festival mood and you tend to choose some unhealthy food options do not skip your exercise routine. Stay active throughout the day as well.
- Eating protein with your meals elevates your metabolism and increases the feeling of satiety. This would help in avoiding binge eating.
- Avoid too much snacking or binge eating throughout the day. Don’t eat just because you are idle. Eat only when you are hungry.
- Practice mindful eating. Keep distractions away while eating food. Eat slowly and chew your food properly. These practices help in controlling portion sizes.
- Family gatherings and celebrations late nights might result in sleep deprivation. Lack of sleep increases hunger hormones. So, try not to cut down on your sleep time.
- Alteration of recipes might help in saving some calories. Cooking methods like baking or grilling over deep frying should be preferred.
- Avoid convenient or processed foods. Eat food prepared from scratch at home and use healthy ingredients.
- Avoid skipping meals. People tend to skip one or the other meal to gorge on food later in the day. Skipping not only reduces your metabolism but also increases the calorie intake at one particular time.
- Control on eating outside food while you are shopping for the festival. Choose healthy options or carry small snacks made at home in your bag. Don’t leave your house empty stomach.
About The Author
Ms. Ratika Vinchurkar– MSc, Food & Nutrition, RxDx.
For booking, appointment call us today!!!
If you have further questions then please contact us on.